Where is the HISTORICAL DATA menu?
The HISTORICAL DATA menu is located at the top right of the application, in the horizontal menu bar of the company.
If you have already linked a bookkeeping software to Budgeto, the HISTORICAL DATA menu icon will change to the logo of your software provider (in this example, we see the QuickBooks Online logo).
Why use the HISTORICAL DATA menu?
What is the HISTORICAL DATA menu?
The HISTORICAL DATA menu allows you to import the historical accounting data of a company in Budgeto. You can import as many years of historical data as you want. To ensure that you import reliable and truthful information, it is strongly recommended that you obtain this information from an accounting software.
Why import HISTORICAL DATA in Budgeto?
1. To identify the existing assets and liabilities of your business.
When creating a budget for an existing business, you must enter your most recent balance sheet in Budgeto. This step is necessary so that we are able to perform all the calculations arising from the existence of these assets and liabilities.
For example, if you have an existing debt, Budgeto must have all the information relating to this debt in order to perform the following calculations:
- The interest expense to be recognized in the results;
- Principal and interest payments to be recognized in the cash budget;
- The balance of the unpaid debt to be carried over to the balance sheet.
2. To create a financial projection for an ongoing fiscal year
Budgeto can be used to prepare budgets on an annual basis and/or to prepare financial projections during the year. The HISTORICAL DATA menu lets you enter your historical results monthly, allowing you to start building a budget at any giving time during a fiscal year.
For example, if your fiscal year is from April to March of each year, you can start a budget in October for the remaining months of your ongoing fiscal year:
- Enter your results in the HISTORICAL DATA menu from April to September;
- Start planning your financial projections in October.
3. To update your financial projection monthly
When entering your past results monthly, Budgeto automatically updates your budget and provides you with a clear vision of your future cash flow situation. Based on your real results, you can review and update your budget in the manner that you wish. Therefore, it will reflect exactly what happened in the past and what should happen in the future.
Where can I get my HISTORICAL DATA?
HISTORICAL DATA is the available accounting data of your company. To obtain this data, you must have accurate and up-to-date bookkeeping. From your bookkeeping software, for example, QuickBooks Online (QBO), you will be able to obtain the Income Statement and Balance Sheet that you will need to use the HISTORICAL DATA menu.
We STRONGLY recommend importing your Historical Data from a reliable accounting software, such as QuickBooks Online (QBO) or Xero. The reason we recommend this is because it greatly lowers the chance of having the wrong information in your Historical Data, compared to entering all your past accounting information by yourself manually.
You can find out how to import you Historical Data information from an accounting software (for example, QuickBooks Online or Xero) by referring to these useful articles below:
- How to link QuickBooks Online (QBO) to Budgeto?
- How to LINK Xero to Budgeto?
As previously mentioned, Your bookkeeping can be done by yourself or by a specialized subcontractor, such as;
- an accountant;
- an accounting technician;
- a bookkeeper specialist;
Here are some useful tips to follow when doing your accounting:
- Hire an expert to do your bookkeeping;
- Use online accounting softwares (there are several on the market);
- We do NOT advise to use spreadsheets to do your bookkeeping.
Need help? These resources are for you!
1- There is a search bar at the top right of the screen, use it often!
Use words that you see on the section you are dealing with in order to search for related articles in our Knowledge Base.
2- If you haven't found an answer to your question, create a support ticket and our team will find an answer for you:
Click here to create a new ticket for help
3- If you have any other questions about Budgeto, write us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Budgeting and know that we are here for you if you need help!
The Budgeto Team
Join the Conversation!
Follow us on our social media channels for Budgeto tips, how-to guides, company updates, and more!
Related Articles (please refer to the links below)
- How to import HISTORICAL DATA into Budgeto?
- Possible Errors in the HISTORICAL DATA menu
- How to LINK QuickBooks Online (QBO) to Budgeto?
- How to edit your MAPING with QBO?
- How to enter your HISTORICAL DATA Manually?
- How to fill the 4 forms in the Historical Balance Sheet?
- How to use the Manual Variations menu?